Friday, September 28, 2007

What are you looking at?

It’s Friday and it's date morning at Perkins with Allen. When I told Allen what I was going to name this devotion this title, he kinda gave the “what are you talking about” look.

Let’s look at Acts 1:1-11. The disciples are on Mt. Olivet, Jesus has given them one last and VERY important command, and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth. Then in verses 10 & 11 really is the driving force behind the title of this devotion. There were two men who were standing among the disciples (I believe to be Moses and Elijah) asked them what are you looking at? Jesus “has left the building” and the way that you saw Him leave will be the way He returns. In others words, He’s given you one last command-go and be witnesses!! We are not to be pew warmers, trouble makers, gossips or people who are afraid to get out of our comfort zone. We are called to participate in what God has given us to do, not just be cheerleaders. BE A WITNESS TO WHAT I HAVE DONE IN YOUR LIFE! I’m sure many of you can share what Jesus has done in your life. Sure it’s easy to share it in church or among Christian friends, but is it easy to share with a stranger? ABSOULETLY not. That’s why God sent the Holy Spirit to speak to us and through us. God speaks through the Holy Spirit to tell us what to say to someone, when to speak to that person and the appropriate place to speak to that person. You ask how I can hear the Holy Spirit. There is a still small voice inside of you that, for the most part, whispers to your heart. My question to you is what kinda of junk do you have in your life that would muffle the talk of the Holy Spirit? Gotta get rid of the junk before you can hear.

With all the things that are going on in my life right now, it’s been very hard to hear the Holy Spirit. As each day passes by, I am learning more and more how to rely on my Heavenly Father to show me the way. It’s just a couple of weeks until Allen and I leave on vacation, we leave family, friends, work and church in Greenville. I’m sure that I will take a nice long nap while Allen drives up the mountains but it’s during that time I will be able to refocus myself and be able to hear the Holy Spirit’s voice. It will be refreshing to clearly hear His voice.

So one last time, what are you looking at? Go and be a witness for Jesus.

No comments: