Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Worship is not a spectator sport . . .

As I study for the next sermon in our purpose series I am beginning to realize how much I have to learn about worship. I have been a part of some really bad worship services in my time and I have been a part of some really incredible worship experiences also. I was reading in Ezra this morning in one of my study bibles and there was a note that stated that worship is not to be a static experience. Now, the writer was not talking about the clingy static that you get from the dryer; he was talking about static as in no movement, no emotion, stillness – Dead. Worship of a living God should never be dead. As I read in Ezra about the foundation of the temple being laid – people sang and praised the Lord, some cried, some shouted for joy – none sat quietly with their hands in the laps. I understand that we all worship differently, and that is not a bad thing since God Himself made us all different, but we do not worship a God in a grave. Our God still makes a difference in the world around us.

I am blessed to worship in a church where our services are not dead. We have a great time of worship on Sunday’s in both of our morning services and the youth services are great. All those that spend countless hours preparing our worship services so that we can worship as a group do a phenomenal job. What I have come to understand is that the services don’t control my worship – my relationship with God determines my worship. If my time daily with God is a time of worship – then my time at my church will be a time of worship. The sermon, music, prayer, fellowship, offering are all important parts of worship – but if I have not spent time preparing my heart and mind for worship – I will not worship.

As I look forward to a time where we can talk about worship, begin to think on these things:
Am I a hindrance to worship?
Do I prepare for worship or do I just show up?
How can we make our youth worship better?
What can I do to make our youth worship better?
When visitors come to our youth worship services, what do they see? What are they looking for? How can we meet their needs?
Think outside the box!!! Let God stretch you!!!

Until next time, keep your eyes on Jesus and prepare to worship our living God.

No comments: