Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Birth of a Clown . . .


I was thinking that maybe some of those who read this Blog would be interested in how I became a Christian Clown. The bio (which was written several years ago now, but slightly modified today for this posting) tells the story of the birth of a clown . . .

I think that it is truly surprising that more people have never seen a 6 foot tall Leprechaun (my first clown character-Shamrock.) I also find it amazing, that when I tell people that I have known for years that I was a clown, they say that they have always known it too.

I grew up with great parents and a wonderful brother in Greenville, SC. At a young age I had a life changing experience during vacation bible school. This is when God began to make tremendous changes in my life. As a teenager and young adult I was very active with the youth group in my home church. I continued to be involved with the youth into my mid-twenties, as one of my best friends was the youth minister. During this time, he allowed me to help plan and carry out many of the mission projects and youth events. Then at the age of 33 I surrendered to the call into the ministry. I enrolled into North Greenville College as a sophomore and worked as a youth minister. During this time is when God brought forth many more changes in my life. My personality had always lent itself to be a behind the scenes planner and worker and never would I have been on center stage. But as God would have it during my college days the curtain began to lift and God brought me to the forefront of his ministry.

Now, I am a Structural designer for an engineering firm in downtown Greenville. I create drawings on a computer of office buildings and parking decks. I have a wonderful wife that supports me in all that I do and I find that as each day passes I love her more and treasure what we have together. I am also very blessed to be the Student Pastor at New Hope Baptist Church in Mauldin, SC.

Several years ago the leadership of the creative ministry team at Rocky Creek Baptist Church (of which I was a member at the time) was praying for someone to head up a new ministry, Christian clowning. As God lead me I accepted the challenge and agreed to head up this new ministry. Having never done this before the church looked for help and as God would have it, He sent Mike “Squeaker” Galloway to our rescue. And what a surprise upon surprises, as Mike and I knew each other from the many youth camps we had done together. I think as another friend of mine would say, “It’s a God thing”.

Gospel clowning has given me a whole new way to share the Gospel with youth and children as well as adults. It is truly amazing, in this world that we live in, hope, joy and laughter seems as foreign at times as does a 6 foot tall leprechaun. My belief is that God has allowed me to clown in order to share laughter at the funny things a clown does, hope that comes from knowing His Son and joy in a relationship with a loving God. My prayer is that God will continue to develop that clown that He birthed within me and to use me to help bring a harvest into His Kingdom. You know, I’m still more comfortable behind the scenes, but God is still working and making changes in my life.

Since I originally wrote this bio of a clown, God has birthed two other clown characters within me – Smokie and Dusty. I do Smokie most often and Dusty is still under development. I clown with my wife Irene (Flower) and two of my best friends BO and Brenda Brown (PeeWee and Bumper). We have a clown ministry called “The King’s Clowns”. God has blessed us greatly and looks to continue to do so.

Until next time – Keep your eyes on Jesus and a smile on your face.

No comments: