Friday, November 9, 2007

What I have been reading lately . . .



I love to read when I have time. I enjoy reading fiction, non-fiction; books that will help me improve what I do. In all honesty, if the book is written well, I’ll probably enjoy reading it. The problem is that I don’t always have time. I have begun to try and change that. A friend gave me this book and asked me to read it. My friend and I will in the future be acting as a team. In my work at DeVita & Associates, Inc. I hold the position as a team lead. So, when given a book on working as a team, I was interested. The following are a few random thoughts from my reading this book:
It is an easy read. It is written more as a fictional story than a text book. All of the parts are there and explained very well in terms that anyone could understand.
As I read this book, I reflected on places that I had worked in the past, where I am working today and on the future. It has me thinking in a different way about team work.
One thing we need to understand – if you have more than one person working for a common goal – you have a team.
Trust in a team is foundational. Without trust, the team falls apart.
If you are part of a team there is going to be conflict. That is not a bad thing. Resolving the conflict and moving forward on the same page, as a team, is a good thing.
Commitment is a must. All must be commited or none will be commited. There will always be an internal struggle without commitment. Count the cost, commit and stick it out to the end.
You must have accountability. Without accountability, there will be caos. Holding someone accountable so that the team can reach its common goal is a good thing.
Clear goals need to be set so that there is no question about what the team needs to be doing.
I must go back to this book being an easy read.
I recomment this book to everyone that works as part of a team.
Until next time, keep your eyes on Jesus and are you a cause of dysfunction on your team?


No comments: