Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Don’t settle for less . . .

John F. Kennedy once stated – “Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life.” I have a new little gadget on my desktop that pops up a new quote everyday. When this popped up it started a whole thought process. Let me expound for a few minutes.
I have the privilege of being friends with Bo and Brynda Brown – some of you know them as PeeWee and Bumper the clowns. They were given the “Citizens of the Year” award for Travelers Rest (the community they live in) last night and Irene and I had the privilege of being at the dinner. They were given this award because they offer their best to the community that they live in. I have often stated that Bo Brown was a better man than I am, because no matter how tired he is or what he has been through that day, when he clowns – God always gets his very best, nothing second rate. I have known Bo for about 6 years now and there has never been a time that I can remember that he would settle for second best. To my friend Bo, I salute you as one who always gives his best, you inspire me to offer my best.
There have been times in my life that I have not always offered my best and have settled for second. That is a dangerous road to walk down. Settling for second is easy – striving to be the best or offer your best is often hard, time consuming, inconvenient. As of this day, settling for second in my life is not acceptable. God has given me His very best – salvation through His son, the blessings of wonderful families on mine and Irene’s side, the best wife in the world, and the best friends a man could want. I should never offer Him second best.
In the future I’m going to follow this post up from the perspective of the church, but until then – keep your eyes on Jesus and never settle for second.

No comments: