Monday, November 12, 2007

Reflection from a great weekend . . .

This was my first weekend that I did not have to have a sermon or a Sunday school lesson or both ready in almost four months. It was nice to kick my mind into neutral for a little while.
I spent a lot of time in my shop this weekend. About half of my Christmas projects are done. I should be able to finish up these projects over Thanksgiving weekend. Then I can see about doing projects just for the joy of it.
If you know someone that wants something that I make for Christmas, please get your orders in now. Overnight orders sometime take longer than over night.
I’m really looking forward to Christmas this year. We are not involved in any kind of Christmas production at a church anywhere. We are going old school this Christmas. Irene and I are going back to family and friends and not so much running in forty different directions. At least that is the plan, right now.
We tried to visit a church this weekend. We got there at 10:45 am so that we could be a few minutes early so that we could get a seat. Before anyone asks, we had called to get the service time. When we walked into the entry area, it was obvious to us that the worship service had already started. We looked around and found a newsletter that had the worship times printed in it. This church’s worship started at 10:00 am. We were a little confused about how far into the worship service they were so, we just left. It would have been wonderful if there was someone in the entry area that would have welcomed us, told us to what point the worship service had progressed and invited us to stay. It was a missed opportunity for the church and for us.
Irene and I spent part of the afternoon watching the NASCAR race. Generally this brings on something we call NASCAR naps. Jimmy Johnson won again. That is four straight. Is there no one out there that can outrun this guy?
I am really fighting the urge to start to listen to Christmas music. If I start too soon, it gets old before Christmas get here.
Speaking of Christmas, Irene has already started her special cleaning that leads up to putting up the Christmas tree. That means multiple trips to the attic stairs and the living room.
I hope it snows for Christmas. That would make my wife very happy.
Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus and Christmas cakes and cookies are da’ bomb.

No comments: