Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Personal responsibility . . .

Have we as Christian’s lost our understanding of what personal responsibility means? There are a lot of people in the world in which we live that do not understand or want to take personal responsibility for anything. There are those that believe the government should supply them a place to live, food to eat, money for retirement, insurance – and the list goes on and on and on. Maybe that is why we are not reaching out to the world around us the way the Bible commands us to. We don’t think that it is our responsibility to do that. Somehow we have had someone sell us a bill of goods that says that the church is what (notice I did not say who) should reach out to the world. It is easy to give money and have someone else get in the trenches and do the dirty work. You may wonder why I said what and not who. If I had said who – then it is personal and we are responsible – if I say what it is and object – non-personal. I really believe that it is a matter of perspective; even it is a bad perspective.
If you are wondering where this is coming from – well, it comes from a discussion that I had with a friend of mine that is a minister in Charleston. I told Irene coming back from Charleston – if I miss anything from when I was at North Greenville it is having people that I sat around with and talked through the problems involved in ministry. I had the opportunity to do that this weekend with two of my closest friends and I had a blast. Passion comes from those kinds of discussions. A passion for: serving God, touching the world around us, leaving a mark and making a difference.
This week I am going to try to convey what God has taught me and is teaching me about personal responsibility over the past year.

No comments: