Monday, August 6, 2007

Reflections from a befuddled mind . . .

I am sorry that I have not posted in a while. Clown school took a lot out of me and between getting back in the groove at work, GodStock and several other things going on at one time – my mind has not been where it needs to be to post. The fog has not entirely cleared, but it does seem that I can see shapes now. The following are just a few reflections from a befuddled mind –

When I think about the Apostle Peter the one word that always seems to come to mind is boldness. Right, wrong or otherwise, he always seemed to be the one at the forefront of all that was happening. Sometimes that worked out good and sometimes not so good. But what I notice in studying his life is that he lived life on the edge and experienced life to the fullest. When I think of an abundant life, Peter is who I think of. Everything that Peter did, he did with passion for the Master. I love the story of Peter walking on the water to Jesus. Most just notice him taking his eyes off Jesus and beginning to sink and crying for help. What I notice is that he is the only one of the disciples that got out of the boat. He did not step timidly out of the boat but he jumped out of the boat. He did everything with passion. Oh, that I might have that passion and boldness.

Summer has been a blur and it is almost over. I know the students don’t want to think about going back to school, but I am excited for them. They are going to be walking back into the greatest mission field that any of them will ever visit. My prayer is that God would grant them the boldness of Peter to get out of the boat and witness to their friends. I pray that their hearts would be so heavy for the lost that they would have a hard time resting because of their lost friends.

GodStock is almost on top of us and I am freaking out. Things are coming together, but all at the last minute. If you can help, please let me know. If you don’t know what GodStock is – ask (I will explain GodStock in a post later this week.) If you can give financial support – give. Don’t miss being a part of something I think God wants to be an annual event in our area.

Sometimes I wonder if we actually get it when it comes to church. God has whipped my tail this summer and opened my eyes as never before. What He wants me to do with all this information is not clear yet. What I do understand is at times we as believers have done church very poorly. Church was never designed to be about us, it was always designed to be about God. The church’s focus should be outside the walls, not inside. We should not expect a new born in Christ to act like someone who has walked with Christ for years. Jesus died for all, not just those who look like someone we want to spend time with. Sometimes we act far more holy than righteous. Sometimes we forget that we were once lost too. It will always break my heart to hear someone say that they are happy with the size of their group or church and that they don’t need to grow anymore. What about the rest of the people around them that are going to hell, don’t they matter anymore?

Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus and pray for boldness. Don’t just step out of the boat – jump!!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

AMEN Brother!!!! I pray that I have boldness as well. I have walked away from many situations not wanting to hurt feelings, yet feeling that I let God down in the process. Acting more holy than righteous is a learned behavior. Unfortunately, you will never have more influence on most teens than their parents, and some parents have practiced until perfect.

I love and appreciate you (and the two or three clowns living inside your head) and what you are doing for His Kingdom in Mauldin. Be bold, be strong, for the Lord your God is with you.