Saturday, July 21, 2007

Thoughts at the end of a tiring day . . .

I am sitting here in the lobby of the Georgia Baptist Conference Center at 9:00 pm at night, blogging on three hours of sleep. We got here at about 3:00 pm this afternoon, got the trailer unloaded and now I have a few minutes to myself. The staff is here for the clown school and we have begun to re-connect with some special friends. I am really excited about the leaders this year. Now don’t get me wrong, our teachers are always the best but this year seems to be a little bigger and a little better. One of our teachers is the official artist for Ringling Brothers – I can’t wait to sit in his classes. But the greatest thing about these men and women is their testimonies for Christ and what He has done in their lives. Anyway, enough about where I am – I will talk about that all week long – just a few thoughts at the end of a long day.

First off – my hat is off to all of the adults that made the mid-summer lock-in a success. Since coming to New Hope I have seen something happen that I had never seen in any of my other ministries – students getting saved at a lock-in. The first lock-in that we did was back in December and we had four students accept Christ that night. Last night we had one student accept Christ as Lord and Savior and other students that dealt with some serious issues during the lock-in. That is the only reason that we do lock-ins. The further I go in ministry the more I realize that an event for the sake of church kids getting together for another Holy Huddle is not what God has called us to do. I really want to see God show up and change lives. I am blessed to have two leaders who head up this lock-in ministry and they are over the top because they want to see students not just gather together but to see changed hearts for the kingdom.

To all the students that invited your friends, thank you. Between adults and students we had 58 in attendance. We heard some great music from Willey Lipsey who is always over the top. Then we heard a testimony from Brian Tillotson who played football for Clemson University. Brian is a big guy who played big football, but he has an even bigger testimony. Brian – you are over the top and we pray God will use you up for His glory. We then had the priveledge of hearing Jason Patterson. All I can say is WOW!! What a message from God.

There was one thing that I guess will always bother me about an event like we had last night – that’s when I have a student look at me and say that they feel left out and like an outsider because no one is talking with them. I understand that God is still working on our group and I understand that we all have those certain special friends, but I would hate to think we miss a life for Christ because we don’t do something as simple as speak to someone and make them feel a part of something bigger that themselves. All in all the lock-in was a great success.

Enough about all that – I’m tired, so – keep your eyes on Christ and keep you eyes open for an opportunity to make someone feel special and a part of the group.

No comments: