Monday, July 2, 2007

Am I the only one that gets surprised . . .

After a week of what seemed to be absolute silence form God, am I the only one that was surprised when God showed up and spoke? You may think that is a strange question, but let me recap yesterday. Yesterday morning was great. When it seems like God has been quite and you have a great worship service like we did yesterday it changes your whole perspective. To all who had a hand in yesterday morning’s service, it was awesome. The music was over the top as always, but Pastor Chad’s sermon was the bomb (I’ll write about it later in the week when I have my journal.)

After church Irene and I went out to eat with some friends. That is something that I really needed. One of our friends that we ate with is a counselor. We were able to talk over our meal and she was able to pose questions that helped me verbalize some things that I have been struggling with in my own head. Now I understand why time with a counselor can be so important.

Then last night’s youth service time finally came. I don’t know if everyone misses those services when they don’t happen, but that was what had been missing in my life over the last couple of weeks. When I first got there we got off to a stumbling start. The music wasn’t ready and we seemed a lot scattered. Now, granted we have not had youth services for two weeks. We finally made it out to the field for a game of “Soft Base Tennis Ball”. During the game a visitor came walking up about the time we were finishing up. When we headed in, Thomas stepped up and did a song from Family Force Five that was great to get us started. Then Willie and Crystal got up and did a song each to set up the service. Mr. David then brought a message from God. I am really blessed to have guys like David, Barry, and Eric that can bring such powerful messages from God. David’s message was about Drug abuse and what God’s word says about it. It was incredible what happened after the message. The youth group headed over to a home to have some food and fellowship when I notice David sitting with the visitor talking. I asked David if they were going to follow us over and he said yes, so we left. David shows up about 30 minutes later and tells me that he had the honor of leading this young man to the Lord. WOW!!! God showed up and a life was changed forever. Why is it we are surprised when God shows up? Why don’t we expect Him to show up and change lives when He does?

You know, I should know better and yet I get surprised. My faith is still under construction. I should realize that God is still active and working. After last week, this week sure does look different. A little brighter, hope a little greater, attitude a lot better. Let us all be on watch to see where God is a work. Until next time, keep your eyes on Jesus and watch for the surprises.

No comments: