Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Reflections, Pain and Enlightenment . . .

You may think this is a strange title for a post, but bear with me for a few minutes and I think that you will understand. I was reflecting on this past weekend. It was a really good weekend in a lot of ways. I had a blast watching our teenagers at sliding rock and then we moved on to one of our favorite past times – ice cream. Then Sunday came and it was great. The praise band did an awesome job. They get better every time they lead us in worship. Their focus on what matters – worship - is incredible. Pastor Chad is preaching the best sermons that I have ever heard him preach and God is at work in our church. Then Sunday evening Barry Ledford brought us a word from God about friendship. I said it that night and I will say it again – I am the luckiest youth pastor around to have men and women who want to work with our students and can step up and share from their hearts about things that God shows them in His word.

I am also reflecting on pain. I have some back problems that I am dealing with right now. I went to the doctor and he sent me to physical therapy. I have never had to deal with this before, but as I sit and think about what God is trying to teach me I am thankful for the doctor that God has placed in my life and people that are willing to be trained to help people that are dealing with physical problems. It has also slowed me down to the point that I am now more receptive to God’s voice and His teachings. Maybe this is my time to be still and know that God is still in control of everything.

Let me just take a minute and say that Ms. Mary Roach is that bomb. She bought Pastor Chad, Robbie and I a book by the lead singer of “Casting Crowns”. Along with that we will get the new “Casting Crowns” CD when it comes out at the end of August. As I sit and read, I find a kindred spirit in the author of this book. I did not know that the lead singer and author of their music is actually a student pastor in the Atlanta area. One thing I know from reading about him and his music is that he gets it. He understands what God wants us to do as followers of Christ. This group’s music paints some of the greatest pictures I have ever seen in print. This book has also given me the idea for a great sermon series for this fall. As much as I love the listen to Eric, Barry and David speak and appreciate their willingness to step in and do what God has called them to do – I can’t wait to get back to preaching on Sunday nights again.

But until that time comes, keep your eyes on Jesus and hang on, business is fixing to pick up.

No comments: