Monday, May 28, 2007

Thinking back to the beginning and looking forward to the future . . .

I’m not exactly sure where these thoughts have come from this morning, they just sort of popped in when I sat down to post. I think back to when I first received my call to the ministry. I had been helping with a couple of student ministries for a while before God called me to be a student pastor. I had the honor to work under great people who were great leaders and allowed me to be a part of something special. Every student pastor that I ever worked with allowed me the privilege to do that which God was calling me to at that time. Back when I first began it was behind the scenes stuff which I still enjoy doing. Those men will always be my hero’s. I saw in them a love for students and a passion for God and a hunger for God’s word. I saw countless hours spent pouring their lives into the students that God had entrusted to their care for a time.

I can move a little forward in time to when I was at North Greenville College (university now) to a time when there was this tight network of friends. All going to class together and all dealing with student ministries together. All of us spent time together, bouncing ideas off each other wanting to be the best that we could be. We were always talking about the next great thing, the newest literature, the next lock-in, etc. We held each other’s arms up when we were tired enough to quit. We prayed for each other. We were always there for each other and we still are. A few we have lost touch with – but most still stay in touch. We will always have each others backs.

I look at where I am today and I stand amazed at what God has done in my life. From a behind the scenes kind of guy to someone who has the privilege to speak to a great group of students every Sunday night. I’m surrounded by a group of leaders who are eager to stand in the gap for the students that they love. I have several men who are eager to do what God has called them to do – preach the gospel and I get the chance to listen to them and be uplifted as well as the students that they prepare messages for. I have the distinct privilege to be on staff with a great Pastor and an Associate Pastor who support me in the ministry that God has allowed me to be a part of.

I look to the future and what God has shown me. I truly believe that God will give us the high school and middle school campuses in our area for Christ. I really believe that we need to be planning for 1000+ students for GodStock in August. I believe that God is going to do great wonders right in front of us so that students will know that He is real. I pray that God gets all the praise and all the glory for the things that He is sending us.

Until next time and who knows what that will bring – keep your eyes on Jesus and look forward to the future – Jesus is coming back. But, live today so that when He comes we all get to go with Him.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

thanks mr allen! haha that'd be nice so i wouldnt have to repost the whole thing :]