Monday, January 19, 2009

Something that made me go hmmm . . .

I do my dead level best to live my life accepting others on their on their character and the way they live their lives and not their skin color or their place in the society that we live in. What I am trying to say is that I do my dead level best not to be a bigot. I will be honest – I never listened to Dr. King’s famous speech until I was in college at North Greenville. I will say this – I have listened to it several times since and am impressed with Dr. King and his vision. The thing that makes me go hmmm – especially on the day the is set aside to celebrate his birthday is the way that some people either misunderstood what Dr. King said or they just don’t want to accept what he said.

I listened to a lady on the news this morning say that she believed that Dr. King would say that the mountain top had been reached because our next president, that is to be inaugurated tomorrow, had been elected to office. It is my opinion that this lady did not understand what Dr. King was saying during his speech so many years ago. What I hear, when I listen to this famous speech, is a man with a dream that his children would be judged on their character and not on their skin color. Well, I guess if all that it takes to have character is to be elected president then maybe the mountain top has been reached. Maybe I put to much content in what the character of a man or woman really means.

I will say this – our next president’s character will be judged and it is my prayer that when it is judged he is found to be upright in all that he has done, is doing, and will do. Whether you like him or not – we need to lift our president in prayer and pray that God will direct him in all that he does. May God bless President Obama!! Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus and how does your character measure up.

No comments: