Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Yard work and my spiritual walk . . .

Well, we have made it past another Memorial Day weekend and I am stiff and sore. This has traditionally been the weekend that we attack the yard work that we have let go for a while around our house. This weekend I have laid sod, put down stepping stones (which I still have some to put back down where I laid the sod), I have cut back Azaleas, trimmed tree limbs, bought a new gas grill (which I am trilled with) and a new set of chairs and a table for the patio. To be honest and transparent to those who read this blog – I really do not like yard work. That is the reason that I am stiff and sore. If I used these muscles all the time – by doing yard work and enjoying it – I would not be stiff and sore. You have to understand that I have seen all this work that needed to be done for a while – I just kept putting it off. If I didn’t put these things off to the last minute, it would not be so hard to get them done and my body would not have to be put through so much stress. But, I do have to admit, I like the way everything looks after it is done.

I started thinking this morning that sometimes our lives are a lot like Memorial Day weekends. We see things that need to be done in our lives (things that God has revealed to us) that need to be taken care of and yet we just keep putting them off. If we would just deal with those things when God revealed them our lives would be a lot easier and yet, we continue to hang on to them or put of dealing with them. I am far from perfect, and I procrastinate with the best, but I know in my life after these things are dealt with I like the way my life looks after it is done. Even dealing with the stiffness and soreness after dealing with something that God has revealed, the outcome is well worth what we go through. My question to you is this – what has God revealed to you that needs some attention?

Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus and let’s get the work done.

No comments: