Monday, May 19, 2008

Who are you, Judas or Mary?

As I sit here this morning, eating pop tarts and getting ready to start a day of work, I’m asking myself, which attitude do I have Judas or Mary. Here’s where I’m coming from. Remember the passage in John 12:1-8. We discussed this last night in our Bible study with The Journey. Jesus has been traveling and stopped by to see Lazarus. Martha was serving supper and Mary poured an expensive bottle of perfume on Jesus’ feet. Judas fussed at her for wasting such and said that she should sell the bottle of perfume and gave the money to the poor. Of course, Jesus told him to be quite because Mary was doing the right thing.
Mary was worshipping in her own way. She cleaned His feet and dried them with her hair. She was at His feet, enjoying His presence. I wonder if she knew that six days later He was going to be hung on a cross.
Judas fussed at Mary because she wasted money by pouring an expensive bottle of perfume on Jesus’ feet. That bottle of perfume was like 11 months wages in that day. Judas was the “chastiser” of the bunch and a thief. He also kept the money bag for the disciples and yes, he embezzled (that’s why he fussed at Mary; he was thinking he was “the poor”). As most of you know this is the same Judas who took money in exchange for turning Jesus in to be crucified. Judas also had a habit like a lot of folks in today’s church. “You shouldn’t do that” or “You can’t come in like that”; “we’ve never done it that way”; “this is the way we’ve always done it”. Need I go on?
In my new church experience with The Journey, I’m learning to have an attitude more like Mary and less like Judas. I use to have an attitude like Judas but now I know that it’s more than the do’s and don’t ‘s. God is not concerned with all of the formalities of worship or going “to church”. He is concerned about worship. God does encourage us to come together as believers to encourage and lift each other up. Worship should be a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year thing. Corporate worship is an overflow of what has taken place during the week. It should never end. It’s never going to end when we get to heaven.
Hopefully this has stirred up something in you like it did me. Give me a shout and let me know what you are thinking. I hope all who has read this will have a wonderful day. Remember to be watching for what God is trying to get your attention about in your life.

No comments: