Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Props to my friend Phil . . .


Last night I had the opportunity to go to a reception for one of my very best friends – Phil Edge. The reception was in honor of his retirement at the end of this school year. Phil and I have been friends for 30 years. We have seen each other through some great times and we have seen each other through some hard times. I can truly say that this is someone that I have traveled the roads of life with. Phil is retiring after 36 years in the education system as both a teacher and a principal. The following are a few things that I have seen in the life of my friend . . .

In his life as an educator – what he did was for the kids – not for himself. The kids under his care were what was always the most important. Greenville County schools are loosing a great educator.

Allow others around you to grow and empower them to lead.

Genuinely care about those under your care, especially kids – they can tell.

Look for the great qualities of people from our past and emulate those qualities in your life today.

Bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

As you walk through God’s creation – keep your head up and focus on the journey and not the destination. If you don’t you will probably miss something great.

Take time to enjoy life.

Love God and love the people around you.

Those are just a few things from 30 years of friendship. I look forward to the next 30 in our journey through life together. Phil has poured a great deal of his life into me over all these years and for that I am eternally grateful. Phil – I love you as a friend and a brother. Blessings to you as you retire and start the list your wife has for you.

Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus and when are we going to try out the new boat?

No comments: