Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mental Picture . . .

Do you ever get a mental picture when someone says a name or you get that passing fragrance that triggers a memory from your past or maybe a song that triggers a thought or a memory? I think that we all do. For me there are certain things that trigger those pictures almost instantly. The name of a school mate and I’m back in school. The smell of sun tan oil that has cocoa butter in it and suddenly I am just out of high school again. Although I am getting a little age on me now, there are times that I am still 21 in my mind.

Now that we all have the same foundation for this thought process, I have a question that I have been kicking around in my mind for a couple of weeks now. When someone says the name Jesus - what picture do you get in your mind? I am going to spend some time, maybe a long time, in various posts talking about a portrait of Jesus. Some times we get part of a picture in our heads, but we leave our other aspects of the picture. To give you an example – we understand that Jesus was fully human. We can see that in birth and death, but do we see him as fully God?

For now, I am going to leave this post with another question that has been kicking around in my head – when people that do not have a relationship with Jesus hear His name used, what mental picture do they have?

Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus.

No comments: