Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A book that I am reading right now . . .


I am reading a book called Crucial Conversations right now. This is something that I would not normally pick up, but maybe I should have earlier in life. You see I have to read this book for a two day class/training session that my job is sending me to next Monday and Tuesday. I am actually looking forward to going. I really hope that it helps me with my communication skills, especially in tuff conversations.

I hate those types of conversations. I had to have a couple of those conversations last week with some guys on my team. I guess that the reason that I hate them is that I don’t think that I do them very well. In fact I now I don’t do them well at all. I probably hate being ion the receiving end of one of those conversations more than the one conducting the conversation. Mostly because I don’t process things very quickly and it is hard for me to know how to respond. Reading this book has caused me to look at the way I communicate and have communicated in the past, especially when I feel threatened.

One thing that it has triggered, unexpectedly, is to look at the way Jesus communicated in tough conversations. He always had the Pharisees, Sadducees, and scribes asking questions and starting crucial conversations with Him. I like the book that is required for the class. I like the example that Jesus set for us even better. I’ll let you know how they mess after the class next week.

How do you handle crucial (tough) conversations? Let me know. I really am interested. Until next time – keep your eyes on Jesus and your ears open more than your mouth.

No comments: